Friday, February 4, 2011

Not all Who Wander are Lost, but then there's me

Yesterday, after we had an orientation and a tour of campus at UCO, my friend Mary and I decided that since we were hungry it would be a good idea to go and get lunch. Since we had already been to the Restaurant Universitaire, we decided it would be fun to go someplace else for lunch. So we wandered along the main road until we found a bakery which had sandwiches that looked appetizing. I kid you not these sandwiches were HUGE! I got an entire baguette, with the fixings on the inside for about 3.25 euros. I decided that since I'm in France, I would try a sandwich that I would not normally have in the US. I ordered a ham sandwich, not realizing it was just ham on bread. I thought, no harm no foul if I don't like it then I know and at least I tried. When I bit into the sandwich, I thought, "boy this ham is way better than american ham!" After my first couple bites, I realized that this sandwich tasted a little strange. I was thinking "could there be butter on this sandwich, or am I crazy?" There was indeed butter on the sandwich. It tasted a whole heck of a lot better than it sounds, but it's not something I'm going to eat all the time.

After buying our sandwiches, we walked towards the river and, coincidentally the chateau (more like fortress :)). We decided that since it was a nice day, eating on a bench was a good idea. I have to say, Angers is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been in. I love it. The view from where we were by the chateau was amazing. Maybe I'm a little biased since this is my first time being in France, but I keep finding myself loving the buildings and the quaintness of it all.

Today, we had no orientation activities. I thought, "Egad! What am I going to do with so much time on my hands?" Answer: sit at home, in bed for a long time until Mary messaged me asking to go to lunch. For lunch we went back to the restaurant universitaire where I had blood sausage and french fries. I thought I was getting just a regular sausage when I chose my meal, but much to my surprise, this sausage was unlike any other I had ever had. It was bright red and not fully congealed together like a normal sausage, ergo I think it was a blood sausage. The first few bites were pretty good, but after a while it became too rich and I couldn't eat any more. Oh well, at least I tried something new!

After lunch, Mary and I wandered around Angers just seeing what there was to see. We walked through the center of town (where I bought a cell phone! YAY outside contact!) and looked in stores that seemed interesting. After wandering around for a while, we ended up back at the chateau where we decided to take pictures. Eventually, we ended up back at our residences safe and sound.

I was extremely surprised that we didn't get lost on our adventure today (with minimal map usage) and proud that I was able to for once shake my directionally challenged-ness.


I start class on Monday, so I'm sure not a lot will be happening in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment